I was asked earlier this week to share some of my favorite tutorials and resources for getting started using the Unity3D game engine. Well, here they are!
- You have to learn the editor workflow. The tutorials on the Unity site are great for this: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/editor
- The behavior script is one of the backbones of the Unity workflow. Understanding how these are built and how they work is very important: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting/scripts-as-behaviour-components
- The general scripting modules are also a good resource: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting
- Understanding Prefabs and how to use them is also a very important concept. For this, the manual page is awesome! http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Prefabs.html
- Space shooter tutorial: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter
- Roll-a-ball tutorial: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-a-ball
- The stealth tutorial is a must(I learned a lot from this one). It walks you through building an entire game in Unity with great assets. http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/stealth
The Tornado Twins have been long-standing resource in the Unity community and have a lot of great video tutorials on their YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL11F87EB39F84E292&feature=plcp
Windows related resources:
- Dave Bost, a former Microsoft Evangelist, has a great post on his blog about creating a Unity game for Windows 8: http://www.davebost.com/2013/08/30/creating-a-unity-game-for-windows-8
- digitalerr0r has a lot of great resources on his blog. For example, http://digitalerr0r.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/unity-for-windows-i-getting-started/
- The official Windows porting guides from Unity: http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/porting
Heads up. Starting in February, Microsoft will be hosting “A Day of Unity” events at the three offices in Texas – where we will offer a beginner’s course where the attendees will walk through building their first game with Unity. Stay tuned for a blog post showcasing these events next week!
As I find more resources, I will update this blog post. If anyone has any to share, please post it in the comments and I will compile it later.